Excess skin and fat in the thighs can result in disproportion with the rest of the lower body, particularly the abdomen and buttocks. While exercise and diet can help, they do not always work. This leaves people who are affected feeling self-conscious about their thigh appearance, and sometimes even unable to wear some outfits like lean jeans.
Thigh lift surgery, also referred to as thighplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that aims to improve upper leg contour. Plastic surgeons remove excess fat and tissue in order to reveal a more attractive and youthful thigh appearance.
Houston, TX plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher Balinger offers thigh lift procedures to patients in Houston, Conroe, and surrounding Texas communities. The surgeon understands that your best self is connected to your self-confidence. Working with a team of experienced clinicians, Dr. Chris goes out of his way to make sure that each patient is comfortable, safe, and happy with their procedure outcome. He uses state of the art equipment and advanced surgical methods to achieve the best result while minimizing the risk of side effects such as scarring.
Am I a Candidate?
Thighplasty is a plastic surgery to tighten and improve the appearance of the upper legs, usually by reducing sagging in the inner and outer thighs . You may be an ideal candidate for this procedure if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You are unhappy about losing skin in your inner or outer thighs
- You experience thigh discomfort as a result of excess skin or fat
- You are generally dissatisfied with the appearance of your thighs
- You are not overweight and are close to your ideal weight
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations about the outcome of this procedure
When you visit Dr. Balinger for your first thigh lift consultation, the surgeon will listen to you and examine your legs before letting you know whether this surgical procedure is for you. Thighplasty is a highly individualized procedure. For this reason, Dr. Christopher recommends that you have this treatment out of your own choice, not because someone else wants you to.
Benefits of a thigh lift
A thigh lift can help alleviate many issues associated with weight loss, age, or pregnancy. Some key benefits of this cosmetic procedure are:
- Removal of excess skin – women who have undergone significant weight loss as a result of pregnancy or other means may experience sagging thigh skin. Even in absence of weight loss, age can lead to loss of skin elasticity over time. This can in turn result in a negative self image as well as make it harder to wear certain outfits such as revealing skirts and dresses. Thighplasty helps get rid of sagging skin so that patients can enjoy firmer, shapelier, and beautiful legs.
- Removal of excess fat – if you have excess thigh fat but good skin elasticity, Dr. Balinger may recommend that you have a fat removal procedure to remove the unwanted fat pockets. This treatment, also known as a liposculpture, reveals a leaner, more attractive appearance.
- Tighten weak muscles – muscles usually lose their definition over time. Plastic surgeons can also aim to address loose muscles by tying them together or tightening them in order to improve your thigh contour. Women who have sagging thighs due to loose muscles – rather than excess skin – may have their thighplasty performed via an endoscope.
- Alleviate stretch marks – stretch marks in the thigh and buttock area are another common issue that women have to deal with as a result of pregnancy, weight loss, or aging. Thigh lift surgery entails tightening the skin, which helps remove these stretch marks and reveal a softer and more attractive leg skin. For patients who have excessive stretch marks, an additional skin resurfacing procedure may be performed after the thigh lift in order to further improve their appearance.
- Reduce risk of skin infection – loose skin can lead to folds which collect sweat. Moisture from these folds may trigger fungi or bacterial infections. Having this problem addressed via thigh lift plastic surgery can significantly reduce the risk of such infections.
Thigh lifts are becoming increasingly common as plastic surgeons perfect their craft. More than 93% of people who have this procedure say that they are satisfied with the outcome. The key for patients is to work with a skilled plastic surgeon in order to obtain the best possible outcome.
Types of thigh lift
Dr. Balinger has a number of thigh lift techniques that he can use to suit the patient’s requirements and goals of the surgery.
Mini thigh lift
Vertical thigh lift
Inner/medial thigh lift
Outer/lateral thigh lift
Your Initial Thigh Lift Consultation
During your first thigh lift surgery consultation, Dr. Balinger will ask questions and review your medical history to learn more about your health. The surgeon will also examine your legs and skin laxity before moving forward to the next step. This initial consultation – which is offered free of charge at Balinger’s office – is an opportunity to learn more about what this treatment entails, and what you can expect from the procedure.
Prepare for Your Thighplasty
Once Dr. Balinger creates a customized treatment plan for you, the surgeon will let you know how to prepare for the surgery. You will be asked to stop taking some medication and herbal supplements that can increase your risk of bleeding. Smoking is also forbidden in the weeks before the surgery because it can increase the risk of complications and impair healing. The surgeon will let you know what to do on the night before the surgery, and what supplies you need to have in place for a smooth recovery.
Your Surgical Experience
Thigh lift surgery is an outpatient procedure that is performed at Dr. Balinger’s in-office operating room or an accredited surgical facility. This surgery is usually performed in three steps.
Recovery after your Thigh Lift Surgery
Following your thigh lift plastic surgery, you will need to set time aside for recovery. How long it takes to recover varies from one person to the other based on the extensiveness of the treatment, and the patient’s unique healing ability. Dr. Balinger will ask that you move around as soon as you are able to in order to promote proper blood flow. Many patients experience bruising, swelling, and pain in the first week or two. You will be given pain medication to help alleviate discomfort, as well as antibiotics to prevent infections. You can expect to resume normal activities after about 2 weeks. However, heavy lifting and strenuous exercise are prohibited until you get the go-ahead from the surgeon. Make sure to follow the surgeon’s post-op instructions in order to ensure a speedy recovery. Dr. Balinger’s office is available to answer your questions and provide the support you need throughout the recovery duration.
Plan your Procedure in Houston Texas
The cost of a thigh lift can vary dramatically based on the extensiveness of the procedure. Most of Dr. Balinger’s thighplasty patients can however expect to pay between $4,500 and $7,500 for this treatment. Health insurers typically do not cover the cost of thigh lift surgery because it is considered to be an elective cosmetic procedure. During your consultation visit with Dr. Balinger, the surgeon will provide a cost estimate based on a personalized treatment plan developed for you. The surgeon offers financing options for his patients in Houston, Conroe, and surrounding TX areas.
Meet the Surgeon
Christopher Balinger, MD, brings keen professionalism to the operating table. With each patient, the surgeon creates a highly customized plan to achieve the desired procedure outcome while working to eliminate or minimize the risk of scarring and other side effects. Dr. Balinger is uniquely skilled to perform thigh lift procedures and a host of other cosmetic surgeries. He works with a team of highly qualified support staff who are committed to the safety and well being of their patients. If you are looking for the best plastic surgeon in Houston for thigh lift, get in touch with Dr. Balinger’s office today.