Loose skin, vertical bands on the neck and sagging jowls along the jawline may occur as we age. This may make you look older than you feel, forcing you to wear turtlenecks even during the summer months. A neck lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that improves the appearance of an aging neckline. Plastic surgeons work to get rid of loose skin that creates the impression of a ‘double chin’ or ‘turkey neck’.
Do I need neck lift surgery?
Neck lift surgery, also referred to as a lower rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic procedure that aims to address visible signs of aging in the neck and jawline. You may be an ideal candidate for a neck lift procedure if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have loose neck skin that makes you look older
- You have excess fatty tissue under your chin
- You have muscle banding on your neck
- You are not overweight and are close to your ideal weight goal
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations about the outcome of a neck lift
Most people who decide to have a neck lift are in their 40s or 50s. A typical lower rhytidectomy can last up to 10 years, so it may be possible to have a refresher neck lift in the future as long as you have good skin elasticity. Keep in mind that neck lift is a highly individualized procedure. It may be difficult to pinpoint the precise best age for this procedure. Furthermore, people have different life experiences, including sun exposure, genetic traits, diet, smoking, etc. When you visit Dr. Balinger for your first Houston neck lift consultation, the surgeon will listen to you and examine your lower face before letting you know whether this surgical treatment is for you.