PRP is an innovative modern treatment for improving skin quality, firmness, and glow. For a long time, this technique has been used in the medical field to heal wounds and repair tissue damage. Platelet rich plasma injections are also known to be an effective treatment against tendonitis, arthritis, and strains.
Who is a Candidate for PRP Injections?
PRP therapy uses injections obtained from the patient’s own platelets to enhance the healing of injured muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints. This technique is also commonly used in hair restoration and other plastic surgery applications. You may be a good candidate for platelet rich plasma therapy if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have tendon pain that affects your daily activities
- Other non-surgical treatments have not yielded the results you are looking for
- Physical therapy has not been effective in improving function and reducing pain
- You are sensitive to NSAIDs such as ibuprofen
- You find that pain medication does not provide sufficient relief, or are looking to avoid long-term use of medication
- Surgical treatment is not desired
- You clearly understand the side effects of platelet rich plasma therapy
- You have realistic expectations about the outcome of this procedure
You may not be a candidate for this treatment if:
- You are pregnant?
- You are anemic?
- You are undergoing anticoagulation therapy and are not able to temporarily suspend treatment
- You have certain blood or bleeding disorders
- You have cancer that hasn’t been in remission for at least 5 years
- You have a medical condition that can get worse with injection, including metastatic disease and certain skin diseases
When you visit Dr. Balinger for your first PRP injection in Houston Texas, the surgeon will listen to you and let you know whether this nonsurgical procedure is for you. PRP therapy is a highly individualized treatment. For this reason, Dr. Christopher recommends that you have this treatment out of your own choice, not because someone else wants you to.