Your eyes have a huge influence on your facial appearance. Aging, sun exposure, and poor lifestyle may result in excess eyelid skin that hangs over or under the eye, adding years to your looks. Eyelid surgery – also known as blepharoplasty – is a cosmetic surgery procedure that removes excess skin from the upper or lower eyelids.
Who is a candidate for eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery is a plastic surgery procedure to lift and tighten sagging eyelid skin. The procedure may be done to raise hooded or droopy upper lids, or to remove eyebags and tighten loose skin on the lower eyelids. You may be an ideal candidate for a blepharoplasty if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have puffy lower eyelids or droopy eyelids
- You have substantial wrinkles or ‘crows feet’ around your eyes
- Your eyes present a ‘hollow’ appearance as a result of deterioration of facial tissue
- You wish to enhance the look of your eyes to attain a youthful facial appearance
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations about the outcome
Most people who decide to have blepharoplasty are above the age of 40. This is the age when your skin loses elasticity and you start to notice changes such as drooping. For some people – though – baggy eyelids run in the family. If you start to notice signs of aging around your eyes, then it is the right time to have blepharoplasty. When you visit Dr. Balinger for your first Houston eyelid surgery consultation, the surgeon will listen to you and examine your face before letting you know whether this surgical procedure is for you. Eyelid surgery is a highly individualized procedure. For this reason, Dr. Christopher recommends that you have this treatment out of your own choice, not because someone else wants you to.